Thursday, July 1, 2010

Home again!

It's probably a good thing that I wasn't able to post pictures in San Salvador because I took over 400! I would have done nothing but blog. Anyway, here are a few of my favorites.


The beach in front of the Gerace Research Center. Not a bad place to take a class, huh?


A sea urchin on the beach in front of Snapshot reef.


This is another one of my favorite spots on the island: The San Salvador Lighthouse.


When we were getting ready to head out for a day of snorkeling, one of the teachers in our group noticed this little baby mocking bird that had fallen out of its nest. He resembles a grumpy old man, doesn't he?


We went to a spot on the island known as "Trash Beach." Apparently, the offshore ocean currents wash up more trash on this beach than anywhere else on the island. It's really sad to walk around and see trash (mostly plastic) from all over the world. I found this piece of driftwood shaped like a question mark and thought it very appropriate on several levels.


Historians believe this is the spot where Columbus FIRST landed after his maiden voyage across the Atlantic. Spain erected this memorial in San Salvador several years ago.


I loved this little beach among the gorgeous rock formations.


I caught myself in "artsy" mode several times a day--the beauty of San Salvador could turn anyone into a photographer. This shrub/rock combo is one of my favorites.


The morning of our last day in paradise, I walked out to North Point with a group of teachers. This is North Point inlet between San Salvador and Cut Cay. Earlier this week we rode down the current that flows through this inlet.



This was the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Known as "Grotto Beach" this beach has it all--a nice sandy bottom, a few beautiful reefs for snorkeling, a healthy dune system, gorgeous rock formations to the right of it, a nice covered area with hammocks and picnic tables, and crystal clear water that resembles a swimming pool. I could have stayed there the whole week.

4 comments:

  1. beautiful! very jealous. looks like it was an awesome trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay, I love all the pictures and how each story is just so informative. You keep blogging because your great at it. Love you bunches. GREAT WORK! Glad to hear that you decided to go snorkeling and scuba diving. You will have to tell me all about when you visit Jax tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are incredible Lindsay! The picture above reminds me of a beach that I visited with John & Michael in the Bahamas. I took the boys snorkeling and we actually saw a couple of barracuda as well as a trigger fish.
    I love the crab and the shark! Kinda reminds me of Linda and me. LOL... Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so pretty. I know what I am going to ask for from you for Christmas - some of these pictures blown up for my walls! Love them. I am sure that I will get to see the 400 pictures at some point and I can't wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete