Thursday, July 8, 2010

Trip #2: Jacksonville!

Two trips down, three to go! I just got back from visiting family in Jacksonville and had a great time. We ended up taking some neat pictures. And today marked the first day of my Skidaway/Sapelo trip.

First of all, though, look at the new friend Roman made! Well, he was acting like this mama Whitetail deer was his new friend, but she didn't seem to like him very much. When Roman ran out of the house on this day, she CHARGED the fence out of protection for her little fawn. At first I thought she was going to jump over and send Roman back to the Emergency Vet. But she just stood right there and kept a close eye on him. She stayed long enough for me to take several pictures and two short videos!



Here's her baby. Aaaw


OK, here we are in Florida at the Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum. Honestly, I really wasn't that excited to go, but I ended up having a lot of fun! This is a portion of the pirate exhibit. Apparently, pirates would stick people in these hanging metal things and dangle them off the ship as a warning to other pirates or do-gooders. Here's my husband John modeling this lovely little number. (I think he looks good in there, don't you? I wonder if they'd let me borrow it sometime...Kidding! ;)


This is a big green screen that leaves a white image of your body on it after a bright light flashes.


So Ripley's had this rotating tunnel that you walked through (a.k.a. holy-wanna-puke-your-brains-out), but it made for some SUPER cool pictures. (By the way, to get this picture, I made John stand still inside the barfy tunnel for almost a whole minute--what a good sport!)


Here's another one. I didn't expect it to turn out like this, but it's still sorta neat.


Tomorrow we're going to Wassaw Island and using a $3K Global Positioning System to map the north end of the island to see if it has moved at all. Barrier Islands are basically just GIANT piles of sand, so they move a little bit with the currents and waves each year. I'll let you know how it goes and the cool stuff we see!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! Such a pretty deer! And hilarious that you went to Ripley's... didn't we do that once in St Augustine? The green-screen wall reminds me of Sci-Trek...

    ReplyDelete